Hidden in My Heart {Part 1}

            Accurately memorizing verses, chapters, and even whole books of the Bible, is how God’s Word becomes hidden in our hearts.  Why should we hide His Word in our hearts?  That we may be better witnesses, able to wield the Sword of the Lord with skill.

Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.  Psalm 119:11

            How wonderful it is to have a verse pop into your head when you’re about to give into temptation.  If you have a specific problem in one area of your life, than memorizing a verse that is applicable to that problem will really help you to resist temptation.

Order my steps in thy word: and let not any iniquity have dominion over me.   Psalm 119:133 

All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:   2 Timothy 3:16 

            Everyone has a different way of studying and memorizing verses.  I have found that saying it out loud is the best way for me.  Putting a verse to music is also an excellent way to memorize the Bible.  My mom used to do that with my brother and I.  We’d pick a verse to memorize, and then come up with a happy little tune to go with it.  It was fun, and we learned the verse much faster than we normally would have.

Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.   Titus 2:15 

I encourage you to pick a verse, a chapter, or even a whole book, and memorize it.  A good place to start might be one of the gospels, or perhaps one of the Psalms, or one of Paul’s letters, like Titus.  Don’t be discouraged if it seems hard at first, or if it seems like you’ll never be able to memorize an entire book.  The more you exercise your brain, the easier it will be to memorize long passages of scripture.

In Part 2 of Hidden in My Heart, we'll take a look at how to use our Sword when under spiritual attack.


3 Responses So Far...Care to Share?:

Allie said...

That was good.Looking forward to reading part 2!

Ladies of Virtue said...

Very good, Natasha! I really enjoyed reading this! And the funny thing is, yesterday I was just thinking of starting back up with finishing memorizing 2 Timothy!
I look forward to part two!

Jenny said...

Wow! Making up and remembering unique tunes for every verse sounds like a lot of work...and I generally find composing not too difficult.