The Lord is our Strength

For by thee I have run through a troop; and by my God have I leaped over a wall.
As for God, his way is perfect: the word of the LORD is tried: he is a buckler to all those that trust in him.
For who is God save the LORD? or who is a rock save our God?
It is God that girdeth me with strength, and maketh my way perfect.
He maketh my feet like hinds' feet, and setteth me upon my high places.
He teacheth my hands to war, so that a bow of steel is broken by mine arms.
Psalm 18:29-34

Two things in these verses jumped out at me...
  •  God is our strength,
  • and He will give us the strength we need for every situation in life.
I have a problem with controlling my tongue - it's not an uncommon problem. 
Proverbs is full of verses about bridling our tongues, so it seems to be something that a lot of people struggle with, even in Biblical times.

However, I often get so discouraged when I say something I shouldn't, or say it in a sarcastic or rude way.  I absolutely despise my tongue at times, but it seems like I keep doing the same thing over and over again.

What encouraged me today was that if God can give me the strength to leap over a wall, or bend a bow of steel, then He can give me the strength to control and conquer my tongue.

I mean, I'm not much of a jumper - I can't even jump the pasture fence or get on my horse bareback without several tries.   I'm fairly strong, being a farmgirl, but I know that I can't bend a bow of steel!
Yet, God says that He will give us the strength we need, even to do those seemingly impossible tasks.

What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us? 
Romans 8:31   

All we need to do, is ask.

Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.

Matthew 7:7-8


3 Responses So Far...Care to Share?:

Ladies of Virtue said...

Wonderful post! Thank you so much - it was very encouraging, and exactly what I needed!

Unknown said...

When I saw the Scripture at the begining of this post I was instantly in tears =D Psalms 18 is ever so precious to my heart and is actually what my blog is based off of. But as i kept reading, I was amazed. Thankyou SO much for sharing your heart in this post! It was just what I needed to hear. =) I have been struggling with and been very discouraged with me and my tongue over the past few days, and I never even thought to apply it to Psalms 18. Thankyou so much!
Love in Christ
Kathryn Hamilton

Tasha said...

@Miss Katie - I'm so glad that this was encouraging to you! You are so very welcome:)
Many blessings,
~Tasha~